November 08, 2006

Science: So, What's With The Cape?

Observe the Skeptic:

often battle-hardened by years of living in a world gone mad with magical thinking and spurious logic;

frequently alone in the fight against codified irrationality;

forced to search far and wide for another candle in the darkness, hoping that one day enough candles together can create the flames of a new renaissance;

sometimes, even these self-assured, strong willed few need a hero.

Presenting the 47th edition of the Skeptics' Circle!

Yes, that's right: it's so big it couldn't fit in the little space I've got available to me here, so the Circle has been forced to relocate to another dimension. Just follow the link above, and you should find it. No worries, eh?

If the thought of leaving this plane disturbes you (and it shouldn't if you've read the last edition!), then here's a list of who's been generous enough to contribute, and some easier-to-reach links:

Tom Nelson at Ivory-Bill Skeptic
Shalini at Scientia Natura
Lambic at Be Lambic or Green
BigHeathenMike at Mike's Weekly Skeptic Rant
Barry Leiba at Staring at Empty Pages
Bryan Gillis at Infophilia
EoR at The Second Sight
Akusai at Action Skeptics (Now there's a good name for this edition!)
Julien at Odd Scoop
Carl Feagans at Hot Cup of Joe
Martin at Salto Sobrius
The Maiden at Hell's Handmaiden
Orac at Respectful Insolence
PLittle at Aurora Walking Vacation
Bronze Dog at Rockstars' Ramblings
PZ Myers at Pharyngula
And as a special guest, Laura Galloway from the TEDTalks brings a Michael Shermer presentation to our attention.

There were a few later additions that I simply couldn't fit in, but are still worth reading:

Jon Swift has a sociological submission,
Neural Gourmet asks a simple question,
and
Abel Pharmboy wonders how easy 100 bottles of wine a day would go down.

And that brings this edition of the Circle to a close! Any comments or complaints about how your post was presented, let me know.

Next up is decorabilia (wear shades until your sense of taste adapts to the ties... Those hideous, hideous ties...), and bear in mind that it will be published on WEDNESDAY the 22nd instead of the usual Thursday.

Labels:

posted by Thursday at 10:59 pm

16 Comments:

Blogger CFeagans said...

Love it!

Heh... got a sneak peek when I was checking my stats yesterday morning and followed the link back. I must say, I was pleasantly surprised and look forward to reading each of the submissions.

Well Done!

12:26 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the comic page. I really enjoyed the Michael Shermer video on TED.com. Thanks.

12:57 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, what a good idea. Nice job! I can't believe I missed the goddamn gorilla....

5:15 am  
Blogger Don said...

I don't have hosting duties 'til February, and all this outdoing of each other is starting to scare me...I can't even afford to think ahead, or I'll waste the effort and find, like Butters, that The Simpsons already did it...

Great idea, and good work.

5:55 am  
Blogger Call me Paul said...

Very cool! I am continually awed by the creativity shown in these things.

6:40 am  
Blogger Jokermage said...

I liked it for the most part, but Lambic's essay on agnosticism seemed like just another atheist calling agnostics "fence sitters". Maybe that wasn't the intention, but that is how it came across.

A better explanation of agnosticism can be found at John Wilkin's Evolving Thoughts.
http://scienceblogs.com/evolvingthoughts/2006/10/what_is_an_agnostic.php

6:41 am  
Blogger Infophile said...

I don't have hosting duties 'til February, and all this outdoing of each other is starting to scare me...I can't even afford to think ahead, or I'll waste the effort and find, like Butters, that The Simpsons already did it...

That's why I'm afraid to volunteer myself. By the time it comes around to me, who knows how high the bar will be.

6:50 am  
Blogger LBBP said...

I haven't hosted for a while, hell I haven't even posted much for a while, but indeed the gauntlet has been thrown down, an I will pick it up. So, I guess I'll have to put my name in the hat for yet another hosting opportunity in the furture.

Well done!

9:35 am  
Blogger Orac said...

"That's why I'm afraid to volunteer myself. By the time it comes around to me, who knows how high the bar will be."

Fear not and volunteer!

It is not necessary to try to outdo the previous host, nor are highly creative presentations always necessary. Straightforward presentations with well-chosen articles and pithy commentary represent a perfectly acceptable way of doing the Circle!

For a bit more about this, check this article out, where I discuss a bit about the different styles of hosting.

1:05 pm  
Blogger Thursday said...

Thanks for the kind comments, all!

I don't think I'll be doing quite this much work on the next one (I've never done a web page before), as the Significant Other was wondering who I was by the end of it...

8:47 pm  
Blogger DeltaFox said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:23 pm  
Blogger Thursday said...

Note to Delta Fox:

I've reposted your comment to the actual post you were commenting on.

7:09 pm  
Anonymous Mike said...

What's this about a gorilla?

3:22 pm  
Blogger Thursday said...

Mike - Check out Shermer's TED Talk. All is explained there (I think... it's been a while since I looked)!

4:47 pm  
Anonymous ed medication said...

Your method of explaining everything in this paragraph is really pleasant, every one be capable of effortlessly know it, Thanks a lot.

10:13 pm  
Anonymous buy erection pills said...

I appreciate, lead to I discovered exactly what I was looking for. You have ended my four day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

1:12 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home