April 19, 2006

Sex: Perversity Comes Home

Now, I remember those "Promise Clubs" that some of the media made a minor kerfuffle about a few years back: you know, the high school kids who wore a braclet or sign a card to prove that they were going to stay virgins until marriage. It was called "True Love Waits", and I was mildly impressed for a moment or two. Then I had myself a good little chuckle when I found out that they were Christian.

Uh, folks? Any sex outside of marriage is a sin for a Christian. Repeat: ANY sex outside of marriage. Which means that a 3x5 index card is more effective that the concept of eternal damnation...? Crazy kids these days, I thought to myself.

Then I encountered this:

I, (daughter’s name)’s father, choose before God to cover my daughter as her authority and protection in the area of purity.

This is from, I shit you not, something called "Purity Balls". This is kind of like a debtante ball, except it's a family-only affair: the fathers take their daughters dancing, and, staring into their eyes, vow responsibility for their chastity.

You have no idea just how difficult it was typing that last sentence. Excuse me a moment while I sanitize my keyboard.

***

Okay, we're back. The first thing you may notice is that there are only Father-Daughter, er, "pledges" here. Even if you take into account that according to these folks, the father is the head (and high priest) of the household, there are no Father-Son vows going on. In typical fashion, young men are supposed to know all about sex instinctively, and are given tacit encouragement to fuck anything with a hole to prove their manliness. Just so long as they don't have to talk about it.

This is what passes for sex education among the Fundies. Ownership precludes responsibility - what is the Man of the household supposed to do when He finds out that His daughter actually had sex? She will have dishonoured Him, and brought shame upon His house! So he does... what? Beat her, or throw acid in her face? Banish her to life on the streets with the other harlots? Kill her?

The laughter is getting a little strained, kids. End this joke already, would you?
posted by Thursday at 9:54 pm

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The longer people outside the 'high priest' view of sex education allow 'social conservatives' to pressure school classes in what kids learn about their bodies and behaviours, the longer the joke will go on.

But hey, I'm sure 'home schooling' can become 'cloistered inside family walls until married', just like the classical age Greek method of ensuring untainted female receptacles for citizen father-husbands.

I'm also sure the other 'retaining virginity greek style' practise will see a great revival among those oathed girls.

12:28 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Chastity belts, here we come!

12:59 pm  
Blogger Thursday said...

Hey, nothing says a father's love more than "You are chattel"!

Virgin Suicides, anyone?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0159097/

10:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home