May 31, 2008

How Interesting...

I was going to spend this post talking about the opposition to Bill C-51, a bill proposed to limit the health claims of "suplements" and some of the rather hysterical claims about the same, but it seems that the web site I was referring to (www.stopC51.com) has stopped functioning.

There are other sites that insist jackbooted government thugs will be kicking in the doors of anyone who plants garlic in their back yard, but StopC51 was a special place: it was a classic example of astroturf, having been started by Ian Stewart, the director of regulatory affairs at Truehope - a supplement company that claims multivitamins can eliminate mental disease. Specifically, their multivitamins can cure mental disease.

No mention of links between vitamin e and cancer, though. Or the 67 studies of 230,000 people showing the uselessness of taking "precautionary vitamins" to ward off disease. I used to do this (one multivitamin a day) for a couple years, but that's just not in my plans any more. Frankly, I didn't notice any diference when started and haven't noticed any difference since I quit.

I think I'll leave it to Michael Pollan:

"Don't eat anything your grandparents wouldn't recognise as food."

And that seems to be workingfor me.

Labels:

posted by Thursday at 8:41 pm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home