February 01, 2005

Motorcycles: Idle Speculation I

One of the first things I did with my new bike was look for the choke. I’ve never had a fuel-injected vehicle before, and it was a touch confusing, okay? Still, it was lovely not to worry about the bike starting in cold weather. Right until it stopped.

On disadvantage of computerized everything is that those of us who are marginal wrenchers get left far, far behind when the motor goes down. To make myself feel better, I remind me that I’m also working on some 1981 Yamaha RD350LCs. Lovely, utterly psychopathic two-stroke engines. Like a chain saw, or a leaf blower. These little beasts were out-gunning 750cc bikes on the race tracks when they came out. A power:mass ratio through the roof.

So this got me to thinking about the bikes available to Canadians this year, and what could I afford If I traded in the three bikes I have? I’m assuming about $10,000. Hey, I’ve got one valuable bike, anyhow.


So what’s around, for (according to Cycle Canada) under ten grand? Street only, littlest first:

Derbi GPR50 - $6,600

This bike is a freak. A tiny bike at 100 kg sopping wet, a 6-speed 8.5 horsepower engine will get it to 95 kmh. Expensive and utterly unique: nobody you know will have one, or have had one. Dang attractive, too.

Kawasaki BN125 Eliminator - $4,000

What it eliminates, I have no idea. But if you are just starting, and light weight, and broke, this is utterly unintimidating bike to ride. Twelve horsepower, easy to wrench and easy to ride; with a top speed of… um… let’s not go across Canada, eh?

Hyosung GV250 - $5,000

Styled bigger than it is, this actually looks like a cruiser. Pretty high-spec for a cheap bike, and you can actually use it on the highway (about 125kmh top speed).

Hyosung Comet GT250 - $5,000

Starts to show what even cheap bikes can do: like 0-100 kmh in under 10 seconds. Find any new car for five grand to do that. Anyhow, I like the looks of “naked” bikes better than cruisers.

Kawasaki ZZ-R250 - $6,300

Fully faired 38 hp bike that can travel the highways or cut some twisties. Great bloodline, too: this used to be the 250 Ninja. Great handling.

Honda CMX250 Rebel - $4,800

Reliable. Eternally reliable. Vertical twin that’s bulletproof, comfortable riding position, if you’ve taken a riders course, then you’ve already seen it.

Suzuki GZ250 Marauder - $4,700

Light weight, low price, standard (somewhat ‘80s) styling and cheap. Best for the small of stature, I think.

Okay, that’s enough of that for now. Mid sized next!

Oh, yeah: of these I’d buy the ZZ-R250. Or the Derbi, but I have no idea where I’d get it fixed!

***

Got motorcycle t-shirts and bumper stickers? Well then, you need more! Go here, and if you say you came from here you'll get your order for half price!

Labels:

posted by Thursday at 10:54 pm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home